Saturday, January 16, 2010

Dem say Oyana... Oyoyo

Saturday, January 16, 2010
Oyana Talkative is back and I guess I should have never left at all. I am typing this in a cybercafe while Nigeria plays one of their usual heart-attack, high-blood pressure and stroke inducing matches.
Hear the screams of 'yeh' and the inevitable, 'Oh God!'. As usual, everybody is a commentator and everybody is an analyst.

But dat one no be gist, bo. I know dey even watch the yeye match. I am too young to die or commit murder for that matter.

My latest gist.
A friend of mine want to turn musician, seriously. And this person means business. The person's calling was revealed one day as this person sat down watching AIT and the parade of musicians who were coming up with one nonsense-word chorus after another.

Na so this my friend suddenly jump up and started writing music. After all, my friend said, if anybody can make money from just saying 'Polongo' or ' Kokoroko' or Oyoyo' why not that person be me?

Na so my friend turn song-writer.

Before you could say "do re mi fasho lati do", my friend don write seven songs and don begin find producer.

Na there katakata come burst.

The first producer told this my friend to bring twenty thousand naira just to produce demo. The second producer talk 150K just to rent studio.

Na for there my pesin come realize say Pangolo business na expensive business.

You might call it nonsense but people are putting out good dough to get their nonsense heard. We started to map out for this my friend the various stages involved in making "any kine song".
After producer, you go need to sign contract with record company. And for that contract ehn, you go tell record company exec, say he get the right to take all the profit for the music wey u suffer write, not considering all the eardrums wey u burst along the way as u dey pratice for bathroom. Not only say he go take the money he go come put u for one paltry salary. How you think say Kenny and D1 buy twin Hummer while Tuface was still rocking... what now, sef? I forget.
You go bribe radio station to play your music, television to play your video and then you go come beg Alaba boys not to pirate your demo.

You think say na by carrying paper and biro and writing seven songs. You neva even talk of money wey u go use shoot video for Southie or Jamo or SHIccago.


But good news, my friend is not discouraged. In fact, this my desperado wanna-be-famous-by-force no even mind if Kennis Music take all the money pata pata so far as they give am album sing put and organise one, two show for am.

For some, it's all about the fame.


PS: Am gonna be putting up street pix soon.

Yes, HE'S ALIVE!
 
oyana ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates